Saturday, January 7, 2017

My brother's invention: The Snow Toe Alarm

The Snow Toe Alarm

But everyone had been in such a hurry
Milk and bread to beat the flurry.
It feels so cold and the air seems right
There has to fall some snow tonight.

How could I ever fall asleep?
Not knowing will the snow be deep?
Now it’s late and the truth is cruel.
Tomorrow will come and we may have school.

Please dear snow, start to fall
So that they can make the call,
And declare tomorrow a special day
When kids can slip and sled and play.

It’s time for bed and the air is clear
I close my eyes and face my fear
That I will wake having missed it all
The beauty held in the snowflakes fall

My brother feels the same way too
And so he says, “I know what to do.
I‘ll tie a long string upon my toe
and run it out our upstairs window.”

He will hang a bucket on that string
And it will work like an alarm clock ring
The bucket weighted down with snow
will yank upon his little toe.

He will be wakened by this action
Giving us the satisfaction
Into a deep sleep we can fall

Without the worry of missing it all.

2 comments:

  1. Great poem. Would not want the bucket of snow to pull my toe off though!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

The Vietnam Experience or Coloring on a Tabula Rasa

Dr.  Frazier (Terry, in green shirt) hand-pedaling in 2020 If I was born a blank slate , it did not take long for the world to write the w...