Thursday, July 7, 2016

Top Ten Things That are in the Top Ten Things



1. UGH!  I have been blindly enjoying writing my little blog posts and feeling all smug about the intelligent content. I have been pleased that a couple of posts seemed to get some attention that went beyond immediate family members and a few close friends.

2. I wanted to reach a larger audience. So I did a quick google search, rushed past all the keyword search engine optimization type thingies because that seemed a lot like math and I hate math. I stumbled across a fast and easy tip.  Find a Facebook Group relevant to your topic with around 7000 members and post a link to your blog in that group.  Easy-peasy. My post was about my experience with how healthcare had changed over the course of my adult life. At least from my perspective. None of the healthcare groups on Facebook seemed to match with my angle on things.  I stumbled across a group that fit the membership criteria and it was about the city I live in. Its past and present.  So I joined and posted.

3. Wham!  Instant success!  Stardom!  Discussions and threads grew from my little story.  Within 48 hours I had over 1500 views!  I had found the key to success!! Yay.  Work done.  Just churn out another one and post it in that group.  And guess what happened?  Nada. Or not much. I joined some other groups, posted and nothing.  Here I am as Yukon Cornelius again.

4. What gives?  I decided to return to trusty old google and get more tips.  Ugh!  I think I know what happened.  It's called a "catchy headline." You see my little viral phenomena happened to a post that I titled "Declining Professionalism in Healthcare." I think healthcare and declining are popular buzzwords or keywords!  Double Ugh!  Because then I read more articles about catchy headlines and realized that I have been falling for this kind of crappy bloggering for years!!  Headlines like Top Ten ways that Democrats are Better than Sliced Bread" and "23 ways to make your kids watch Kung Fu re-runs with You!"  Yikes! I'm a sucker!

5. I even saw this at work just tonight on Facebook. And in regard to serious matters. 15 things Punishable by Death Penalty if You are Black." "12  WaysYour Adopted Child will try to Push You Away"

6. It's really disgusting.  We are robots.  No we are taking orders from robots. Robots are telling us what to read!  Triple Ugh!!@!

7. And my clever links that I had been adding.  My brother was nice enough to say that no one has time to look at all those links. But guess what every article you see on the internet is full of them.  Do people actually click on them?  NO!!  They are there for SEO or Search Engine Optimization!  Marketing, marketing, marketing. Or is it manipulating, manipulating manipulating?  I have been manipulated.

8. So if the title of my post mislead you into reading this entry, then you know how I feel. You have been manipulated into reading my crappiest post yet.

9. From now on, I'm going back to my attempts at quality content and forgetting about my stats.

10. You can read it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Vietnam Experience or Coloring on a Tabula Rasa

Dr.  Frazier (Terry, in green shirt) hand-pedaling in 2020 If I was born a blank slate , it did not take long for the world to write the w...